Enrol my child aged 12 to 15 in a state school
Is your child aged 12 to 15 arriving in Geneva? Does he or she speak little or no French? Would you like to enrol him or her in state school?
In Geneva, the state school for pupils aged 12 to 15 is called the orientation cycle (CO).
Pupils who do not speak French are enrolled in Welcome Classes.
A document explaining the fonctionning of Welcome Classes is available in different languages :
If you live in Geneva, you can enroll your child throughout the school year, between August and June.
If you live in neighboring France, your child's enrollment is only possible for the upcoming school year. His or her admission file must be sent no later than January 31st preceding the next school year in August.
If you live in neighboring France, you must check that you meet the conditions detailed in article 25 of the orientation cycle regulations to be able to enroll your child.
- ID document (copy of identity card, passport, legitimation card issued for the canton of Geneva or residence permit issued in Geneva) for the child.
- ID document (copy of identity card, passport, legitimation card issued for the canton of Geneva or residence permit issued in Geneva) for both parents.
- Proof of health insurance affiliation, if available.
- Report cards/Transcript for the current school year and the previous year (copies).
- Authorization from the other parent if his or her is absent from Geneva or court decision in the event of separation.
Additional documents may be requested.
Apply for an admission in Welcome Classes
You can also apply by post, but it will take longer to receive a reply.
As soon as your file has been validated, the school will contact you to finalize your child’s registration..
I already have an “e-démarches account”
I do not have an “e-démarches account” yet
I apply by post
Service Organisation et Planification
Chemin de l’Echo 5A
Phone: +41 22 327 04 00