4. Financial support and other kinds of support
Because of the epidemic, you might be facing financial or family difficulties? You may no longer be able to fulfil your unemployment insurance obligations? You may have questions about the pursuit of your children's school programme or about the protection of under-age children.
The cantonal authorities, in accordance with the decisions of the Confederation, have taken a series of financial and other support measures to alleviate your everyday life.
The police is currently no longer carrying out forced evacuations of tenants and subtenants from 25 March 2020 until 31 May 2020. This measure is subject to a possible extension depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 crisis.
Taxes: new payment deadlines and payment arrangements
The fiscal measures adopted by the State Council in the current pandemic context are:
- the extension of deadlines to submit your tax return application or to correct the 2019 withholding tax,
- the facilitation of the payment of advance payments,
- the elimination of interest on arrears on ICC/IFD tax invoices and 2020 instalments.
Suspension of requirements for jobseekers
- Registrations for unemployment benefits can be made by e-mail.
- Unemployed persons no longer have to provide a proof of their job research. A person entitled to unemployment benefits must submit proof of his/her job search no later than one month after the expiry of the COVID-19 Ordinance 2. The control period will be based on the period of validity of the ordinance.
- In order to avoid the expiry of entitlements, all entitled persons will be granted a maximum of 120 additional daily allowances.
Domestic violence and the protection of under-age children: you can ask for help
Stress and anxiety have triggered violent behaviour from one or more members of your family : the emergency services are available to intervene.
If you witness domestic violence, do not hesitate to contact the police at 117.
With regard to protecting children and young people and supporting parents, the Underage protection service (Service de protection des mineurs - SPMI) continues to provide assistance.
Education and training: how to organise schooling at home
Will exams be maintained? How does the distance learning process work? Can my child invite classmates over to work together at home? Such are the questions that the school authorities are working to answer.
Financial relief for self-employed tenants in subsidized housing
A total exemption from surtax has been decided for tenants living in subsidized housing who are self-employed and are severely affected in their financial situation.
Citizens in such circumstances can apply to the Cantonal office for housing and land planning (Office cantonal du logement et de la planification foncière - OCLPF), exclusively by e-mail, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Their application to obtain a remission regarding the surtax for the month of April 2020 (and for subsequent months, if the measures were to be extended) will be examined and processed within three working days.
How do I keep up to date with my other administrative requirements?
The cantonal administration counters are closed or operate within very reduced hours. In some cases, telephone hotlines have been set up.
It is best to use the online communication system or to rely on postal services.