3. Why, when and where can one be tested?
Screening centres - Opening hours during the holiday period
Screening centers in Geneva
When should one get tested ?
1. You have symptoms
it is strongly recommended to undergo a screening test as soon as :
- you present any acute respiratory symptoms (coughing, sore throat, shortness of breath, chest pain)
- you have fever
- a sudden loss of smell or taste
- you present muscle pain, headache, general feeling of tiredness, colds, gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g. nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain), skin rashes.
- old-aged persons with an acute confused state of mind
- old-aged-personns with deterioration of the general condition without any other cause
Before doing a screening, you can also choose to assess your risk level by doing a HUG Coronarisk test.
Do the Coronarisk test.
2. You have received a notification via the Swisscovid application regarding exposure to a COVID-19 case
A test is indicated 5 days after this notification. It can be carried out in one of the screening centres in the canton.
3. The cantonal doctor's office has asked you to be tested
A test can be carried out in one of the screening centres in the canton.
4. You are going on a trip and a test is required on arrival in the country of destination
Travel certificates currently require proof of a negative RT-PCR test.
A quick test does not seem to be enough. Pre-travel screening can be carried out in one of the screening centres in the canton.
5. Your employer has requested that you be tested.
A test (PCR or rapid test) is not indicated
A test (PCR or rapid test) is not indicated in the following situations:
- At the request of your employer when you have no symptoms.
- To shorten the duration of your quarantine.
Which tests ?
Since November 2, 2020, rapid antigenic tests have been offered according to the following criteria:
- You have had symptoms for less than 4 days (test as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms).
- AND you are not a high risk person
- AND you do not work in the health sector in direct contact with patients
Rapid antigenic tests are gradually being introduced in the canton and their availability will increase in the coming days. They can be carried out in public pharmacies.
What is a rapid antigenic test?A rapid antigenic screening test can tell if you are infected. The sample is taken in the same way as for PCR tests (nasopharyngeal swab). The result is obtained in 15 to 20 minutes.
Antigenic tests can be carried out at various screening centres in the canton.
why to get tested ?
The purpose of screening is to :
- Rapidly isolate any sick person to prevent him/her from infecting others.
- Quarantine people with whom a sick person may have had close contact and who may have been infected.
Cost coverage of the screening test
Since 25 June 2020, the Confederation pays the costs of COVID-19 analyses for people who consult one of the above-mentioned sites.
A person must :
- be part of indicated people (corresponding to criteria 1,2 or 3 of When to get tested)
- be insured in Switzerland.
Coverage is therefore free of charge for persons who meet these criteria.
On the other hand, the cost of screening for travel reasons and for most asymptomatic persons remains at their expense or at the expense of the employer if the employer requests the analysis.
If further tests or swabs are required based on the clinical condition, the health professional must inform the person. In this case, the additional costs are covered by the health insurance, accident insurance or military insurance, as the case may be.